Contractors and construction workers usually have to cut through different thicknesses and types of cables. The types of tools they have used over the years have been manual, battery-powered, engine-powered or more recently electrically powered. A hydraulic cable cutter combines manual and mechanical operations to enhance the amount of production with minimal manual force or application.
In the past, saws were consistently used in cutting cables; however, they presented quite a number of challenges. One such challenge is sparking, which can result in fires, loud noises and slow cutting.
In comparison, a hydraulic cable cutter is more effective because:
- Sparks are not produced which means less noise and faster cutting
- Ability to achieve high pressures
- Ability to cut through thick cables with little force
Hydraulic cable cutters are self-contained and are fitted with integral hydraulic pumps that enable efficient production under difficult circumstances. Some of these cutters can be used in underwater applications because they can be specially sealed. The blades are easily replaceable after wear and tear.
When choosing a hydraulic cable cutter, it is important to consider a number of things:
- Size: Consider the size of the cable that you will be cutting so that you are able to get the right cutter for the job. You may also want to consider the size of the cutter itself depending on the application. If the job requires a portable cutter, then it is wise to consider an easily portable model.
- Durability: The durability of the cutter blades depends on the material that will be cut. Heat-treated blades are usually more durable.
- Comfort: The blades usually have soft material on the handles for easy and comfortable use. You should choose the most comfortable material for you.
- Adjustable blades: if you are intending to use the cutters for different materials, then consider purchasing a cutter with adjustable blades. This way, the different sets of blades can be more efficient and last longer.
AMAC Equipment offers a wide variety of cable installation tools and accessories, including hydraulic cable cutters. To browse our selection, visit the Cable Installation Tools and Accessories page of our website! You can also call us with inquiries at 905-884-1423.