Whenever there is fibre cable installation work or maybe even a rework operation, installers have to carry out a complicated threading job. This task is not just challenging and time-consuming, but it is also prone to costly errors. It is also one of the major parts of the entire cable installation process, so it’s crucial to get it right. Thankfully, duct rodder comes to the rescue here, making threading easier and more convenient. You can learn all about their importance and proper usage here.
Here’s how a duct rodder should be properly used.
Proper Way To Use A Duct Rodder
First and foremost, before using a duct rodder, ensure that you have read the manufacturer’s manual where all safety instructions are given. It is crucial that you strictly follow the instructions written in the manual to prevent damages to the equipment and the fibre cable being installed. Here are some important things to consider before using the rodder.
- Position the duct rodder in a suitable location where the cable needs to be threaded.
- Place barriers around the job area, and always have warning signs to alert the general public not to enter the location.
- Ensure that the crew is wearing their personal protective gear such as hard hats and safety shoes.
With these prerequisites taken care of, here are the general steps on how to use duct rodders.
- Make sure that the rodder is laid out horizontally, and all parts of the rodder are properly fitted and ready to use before it enters a conduit.
- See to it that the hand brake is released from the cage so that it can spin freely and you can pull out the rod easily.
- Next, thread the rod of the rodder’s frame by pulling its head out of the cage. Handle it carefully to avoid any breaking.
- Now, the rod is ready for use. Push it slowly into the conduit, ensuring that it fits the size of the opening. Don’t use any external force to move the rodder around bends.
- Once the rod successfully reaches the end of the line, use a pull line around its head. Make sure to put the brake on beforehand so the cage doesn’t spin anymore.
- It is now time to pull back the rod into the cage through its eye. Never spin the cage when pulling back the rod.
- Finally, remove the cable from the duct rod and store the rodder properly, with the rod fully kept inside the cage.
By following these steps, you can successfully use a duct rodder to accomplish the complicated process of threading in a minimal amount of time. For quality duct rodders or other cable installation tools, you can always reach out to us at AMAC Equipment Limited, the leaders in offering aerial and underground cable installation solutions in Ontario. Contact us today to learn more about products and services.